Friday, August 21, 2015

MTC - Week 1

Bula vinaka! Vakacava tiko?

Well, week one down in the MTC! And HOLY COW did it go fast. There's a saying here that the days feel like weeks but the weeks feel like days. It's so true. The days can be long and tiring, just because we have 11 hours of study time, whether it's personal study time, companionship study time, language study time, or language class. But when I think back, it feels like it was my last P-Day just yesterday! I love this place so much. There are so many missionaries here, and we're all working so hard. At night time I honestly get really sad just because the day's over!

The language is coming pretty well! It is such a unique language. Lots of the letters make different sounds than in English, so I keep spelling things wrong in English. Haha. For example, the other day I wrote "think" in my journal but spelled it "cink". Haha! But I love learning Fijian. I already have the missionary purpose memorized in Fijian, and I'm working on the First Vision! I always offer to say the prayer because I love speaking the language so much. I learn SO much of it every day. But sometimes it can be discouraging when I realize how much I still have to learn. But my Branch President's wife, Sister Willes, told me it helps IMMENSELY if I pray for the gift of tongues each and every day, and enlist my family and friends to help pray as well. So if you guys can remember me in your prayers that would be so amazing!!

Another thing I want to say is that I LOVE my Zone. I honestly think that I got put in the loudest, craziest, funnest zone in the MTC. It's 70% Polynesians because it includes the Pacific Island Missions. So during lunch, dinner, and gym time and stuff we're always laughing, playing pranks, and just having fun. Which is really good for me I think, because it is a stress reliever. We really do learn stuff the entire day, so it's really nice to be able to look forward to chilling with my zone. There's nothing like some good ol' poly fun.

Ok before I wrap it up I want to tell a funny story and then a quick spiritual thought. Funny story first.

So on P-Days we get to go to the temple, and today I did an endowment session. The sessions are always WAY full because it's full of missionaries AND just the people coming to the temple. Well about halfway through the session, the recording stopped working. So everyone was just sitting there in dead silence for a few minutes. Then right behind me, I heard a WAY loud snore. So I turned around and this old guy was DEAD asleep, snoring soooooo loud. Everyone in the entire room heard it, and turned and watched him. I know i shouldn't laugh in the Lord's house, but I just could not hold it in. This guy honestly sounded like a train. I laughed so hard. Hahaha! Eventually the guy next to him nudged him and woke him up. When he woke up he looked around and saw everyone looking at him. He was so embarrassed. 

Ok, now for the spiritual thought. While I was studying this week I came across these scriptures in Mormon chapter 9.

22: ... Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel unto every creature;

24: And these signs shall follow them that believe - in my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them; and they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover

These verses felt like they were being said to me personally. I've already heard tons of stories about things happening in Fiji... Like people getting possessed, poison drinks, and just weird creepy things. The people are very superstitious. But momma, I thought you'd take comfort in these verses. That I will cast out those devils, those drinks won't harm me, I will crush serpents below my feet, and heal the sick. I know that as a set apart missionary, going out to preach the gospel unto every creature, I have the Lord with me. 

Alright, well sorry for the way long letter, I just have so much to say!! I love this gospel so so much. Thanks for all the letters and emails! They really help me a ton and keep me going. Send me pictures, I want to see how everyone's doing! Also, shout out to my family finally getting moved in to the new house, congratz! I miss all of you like crazy. Thanks for all the support!
Au lomani kemuni!

Elder Jaxson Jeremy Miller
These are the Elders in my District (I told them to do a straight face)

Me and Spence

No comments:

Post a Comment