Sunday, November 15, 2015

LAMI - Week 5

Lami - Week 5 in the books!

I know that I talked all about how crazy it was that I've already been in Fiji for over a month last time. But I realized that this week was my 3-month mark for my mission!! I'm already 1/8 done with my time as a missionary! And man has it been a SWELL 3 months.

I'll start off with kind of a weird story. My companion and I were walking from appointment to appointment one day. As we were passing a rugby field (they're EVERYWHERE) near the end of the day, the coach ran over to us and stopped us. He asked us to come pray with the team to end their training. So we walked over and joined their huddle. It was cool! Every single one of them seemed so excited to see us, and put their arms around us as if we were part of the team. We shared a quick scripture about faith. We told them that if they would read their scriptures and pray about their upcoming rugby game, that they would win. Haha. We'll see how that turns out! We then ended with a prayer. As we walked away, I tried to imagine that happening in America. But NO WAY. The people of Fiji are just the freaking best.

This week I also had my first vuaka (pig)! It's like the coveted food here. It's WAY expensive and rare, so it was a way awesome surprise! There was one problem though... Halfway through my serving I took a bite.... And almost gagged it all out. It still had the hairs of the pig on there... Yuck. Haha, the foods here are definitely different than back home. Although I definitely miss my Panda Express, I have already grown to love the food.

Also, on Wednesday was a big holiday here in Fiji. It's called Diwali. It's an Indian holiday, but everyone celebrates it. It was so fun! There were SO many fireworks going off everywhere every single night. We had a ward party that was a BLAST. Played tons of games that I've never seen before. Like one where they brought all the boys in, and tied their arms behind their back. The object was to grab an object on the ground by doing the splits, and without using your hands. It was HILARIOUS seeing the old Fijian grandpas trying to get all the way down. I was way worried they were gonna like break a bone or something! But this 30-year old WAY BUFF guy won. Holy cow he could go down SO far. Haha.

This week was also a good week for me as far as the language is concerned! I think I really turned a corner! I'm starting to really understand what people are saying to me, and I'm starting to be able to speak a bit faster! It's a super weird language, but I love it so much.

All in all, it was a super fun week. Time really does fly as a missionary. I want to end with a quote that I heard that I think is super important for us to remember:

"The Lord sacrificed everything for us, including his own LIFE. What are we sacrificing for Him?"

I testify that Jesus Christ truly did sacrifice for our sins. He went through all of our pains, doubts, fears, trials, and tribulations so that we can be saved. What are doing in return? I challenge all of you to ask yourself that question, and look to improve this next week. Sacrifice 3 hours to go to church! Sacrifice 10 minutes once a day to read the scriptures! Sacrifice a couple TV shows to help someone in need! The Lord loves us all SO much. Show a little love in return.

I love you all SO much. I love being a missionary. Keep on keepin' on!
Au lomani kemuni!

- Elder Jaxson Miller
Suva, the capital! A view of Suva from a hill in Lami
Rusi (on right), a 14 year old that's going to get baptized this coming week!
A Fijian ice cream sandwich. (Bread with passionfruit ice cream)
Sack race at the ward Diwali party
Rugby, my companion is the one with the ball on the very left
Net Ball, a Polynesian sport. Like basketball, except you can't take any steps when you have the ball
A view from the top of a village called Kalekana


No comments:

Post a Comment