Sunday, January 31, 2016

NABUA - Week 1

Transfer!
NABUA - Week 1  

Bula Si'a!
Hey everyone! A TON has happened since I last emailed. I got transferred to another island! It's been a hectic week with all the traveling and adjusting to my new area. We're whitewashing an area called Nabua. ("whitewashing" is when 2 Elders get sent in, so neither have been to the area before) It's a very "bush" area, meaning it's basically in the middle of nowhere. It's a 2.5 hour bus ride from the nearest city. It's awesome, I don't know where to start!

I'll start with the traveling. So on transfer weeks we get the call from our Mission President on Tuesday to tell us whether or not we're transferred. So I got that call, and was WAY excited. Then The Zone Leader's picked me up on Thursday afternoon, and I stayed at their flat that night. Then early in the morning they took me to the airport! Hopped on and took a 45 minute flight to an island called Vanua Levu, the 2nd biggest island in Fiji. I got there and was welcomed by lots of the missionaries! Then I hopped on a 2 hour bus ride from the city Labasa in the Northern part of the island to Savusavu in the southern part. Then from there some Elders took us up to our area by truck, a way long ride straight into the jungle! 

Now for my area, Nabua (pronounced NAHM-BUA). We live in a little tiny house the church built for missionaries. It's about the size of my room back home. We have beds, a propane stovetop, solar panels charge the one light bulb and outlet we have, and a water tank behind our house is our source of water. Our house is right on the beach! It's BEAUTIFUL. 

Our house is actually in the village, which is really rare for missionaries because of the customs of Fiji. We're only able to because the chief of the village is a member of the church! The church just added on a bit to his house, and that's where the chapel is! Pretty much every village has it's own dialect of the Fijian language, and this dialect is CRAZY. I can't wait to learn it.

I'm so so excited to get working in this new area! It'll be really hard work, for sure. People are different out here in the bush, not as accepting of the gospel. They last baptism in the area was in August 2015. But I'll do my best!

Anyways, that's me. How about you? Are you still following up on your New Years resolutions? I'd like to share my ponderizing scripture this week, which is John 17:3. It says that to KNOW Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ is Eternal Life. Do you know Heavenly Father? Do you have a relationship with Jesus Christ? If not, get working on it! Pray sincerely! Seek answers in the scriptures! Go to church! When you do, you'll get closer and closer to that ultimate goal, Eternal Life. 
I love you all! Until next week, keep on keepin' on!
Au lomani kemuni!


-Elder Jaxson Jeremy Miller 




Vanua Levu
Our backyard
The "Prayer Tree", a way sweet tree that goes out over the water right behind our house



Studies
Some village kids interrupted our studies 
Asena. Wants to get baptized but parents won't give permission. Asked me to take a picture of her. 
Our flat is on the left, the chief's house on the right, with the chapel built onto his house
Our flat, built by the church
Palm Tree forest
The plane to Vanua Levu. Fits about 50 passangers. 
The tiny airport
The Labasa airport
My welcome party
On the bus ride from the airport, as we pass through little villages the ladies come up trying to sell stuff
Little shop in Savusavu
A battle-axe things - in a store in Savusavu
Made a chair swing (before we left Lami)
Now a hammock



No comments:

Post a Comment