Tuesday, March 8, 2016

NABUA - Week 6

Fish! 
Mauri! Elder Miller here, reporting on another crazy week in Fiji! It was a SUPER eventful week this week, but I'll try to keep it short so you don't get uber bored!

So this week we had a tri-companionship because an Elder in my district got sick and had to go to the main island where there's a better hospital. Because of that, I traveled the most I ever have in my mission! I got to see so much of Fiji, it was a blast. I even got to travel to another island! (see pictures) It's called Rabi [Ram-bi, like the animal]. They actually speak an entirely different language altogether! They speak Gilbertese, the language of the country of Kiribati. That was SO cool. We took one of those fiber-glass boats over. Way fun!

On the way back from Rabi, we ran into MASSIVE flocks of birds. And every fisherman here knows, when there are birds, there are fish. So he decided to fish. And OH MY GOSH I'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY FISH IN MY LIFE. He would literally lower his pole into the water and yank out a fish into the boat. I had to hide in the little cabin at the front of the boat because I got nailed in the head by a fish. My gosh, it was the craziest experience. I'm pretty sure I still smell like fish... And that was 3 days ago. 

For the sake of time I'll just talk about one other thing even though SO MUCH happened this week. Just scroll through the pictures to see! But this weekend we spent a few days in the area called Tukavesi. It was so cool! For church on Sunday, we met in a member's house (a RICH member...) that lived in America for 15 years. Holy cow. It was so full! There were so many people that came! And almost half of them were non-members! The spirit was so strong. These people truly love this gospel. 

Here's the highlights of my week!
-Tri companionship
-Zone Training Meeting on the other side of the island
-I met a 49ers fan in a small village in Fiji
-Took a fiberglass boat to another island that has another culture and another language
-Showered from a bucket
-Used a weed-wacker to clear an entire lawn
-JAMMED out to the Frozen soundtrack
-Caught the biggest fish of my life
-Saw more fish than I've seen in my entire life combined
-Ate BAT (aka "Chicken of the Cave)
-Ate RAW FISH
-Watched as an Elder reached into a freshly caught fish, pulled out the heart, and then handed it to me to eat, which I gladly did

And much more! I'm having so many fun adventures on my mission! But I promise I'm still working hard! The missionary work is moving along so well here in Fiji.

Lastly I'd like to share a spiritual thought. I received a good reminder about my Patriarchal Blessing. I encourage you all to go read yours again! And if you haven't received yours yet, ask Heavenly Father if now is the right time for you! I know it is truly direction and guidance for our lives here on Earth. Pay attention to the the commandments it tells you to follow, and the promised blessings if you do. Ask yourself if you're really following them!

Thanks again for reading my email! I love you all so much, and love being a missionary! Until next week, keep on keepin' on!
Au lomani kemuni!

-Elder Jaxson Jeremy Miller

Pres Eyring visits with the missionaries before the Cultural Celebration
A house destroyed in Cyclone Winston




Savusavu Bay

Distributing food rations to people that were affected by the Cyclone
Traveling for dayzz

The boat to Rabi island

Starting POURING rain, so we grabbed a tarp

The Elders' flat in Rabi. They're the only missionaries on the whole island

Rabi
The road on the island is alongside the beach, with the villages lining the road. It only covers about half of the island, the rest doesn't have a road. Every single village on the island is on the oceanside, NONE are inside the forest
Playing around with some Rabian kids


Dinner in Rabi. That white bowl is the raw fish. They literally just cut up a fish and put it in coconut milk
My shower
These birds follow the schools of fish EVERYWHERE


Caught a Tuna!
Pulled the heart of a fish and ate it


Had some bat for dinner!
A goat
The place we had Sacrament, a member's house who lived in California for 15 years






No comments:

Post a Comment